Continuing your tenancy

Depending on your tenancy type, the tenancy agreement will say when the fixed term is up. If both parties are happy, the tenancy can continue on a periodic basis (rolling on a week-by-week or month by-month basis) or you can re-negotiate another fixed term. Be aware, some lettings agents will charge you a fee for renewing the tenancy agreement.

Rent increases

For a fixed-term tenancy, your landlord can only increase the rent if you agree. For any rent increase, your landlord must get your permission if it’s by more than previously agreed, and it must be fair and realistic (compared with local rents, for example).

If you think the rent increase is unfair, you can apply to the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) in England and Wales. But be aware, under most tenancy agreements, your landlord can evict you by giving you two months’ notice so may choose to do this instead.

If your landlord goes into mortgage arrears

The mortgage lender could become your landlord and/or you could face eviction. It depends if your tenancy is binding on the landlord’s lender or not.

What to do if your landlord won’t accept your rent

If you’re in dispute with your landlord, he or she may refuse to collect the rent, so they can argue you breached the terms of your tenancy agreement, giving them grounds for eviction. If this happens, write to your landlord explaining that you want to pay the rent and keep a copy for your records. Make sure you have the outstanding rent available to pay.