Moving out of a rental property

How to give notice

If you want to end your tenancy and move out you must give notice in writing to your landlord you should also keep a copy for your records. When giving your landlord a ‘notice to quit’ you should ensure you are giving the correct amount of notice time before moving out.

When writing your notice you must include;
  • Your address
  • Your contact details
  • Your landlords name and address
  • The date your notice period will end

You should deliver the letter by hand or post by recorded delivery – and get a receipt. Only give notice by email if your tenancy agreement says you can.

Leaving without giving notice

If you move out with out giving valid notice to your landlord your tenancy will not have ended, this means you are still responsible for paying rent until you end your tenancy in the proper way. If you stop paying rent with out giving notice, finishing the notice period or agreement from your land lord you can be taken to court to make you pay the rent you owe and may also have to pay the court fees.

Leaving on bad terms may also affect you finding a new home, moving out without giving valid notice may result in you;

  • not being able to get a reference from your landlord
  • not getting your tenancy deposit back
  • building up rent arrears if your landlord continues to charge you rent

Getting your deposit back

You should avoid using your deposit to pay your last month’s rent – especially if you’re unlikely to receive it back in full (perhaps due to some accidental damage) – as your landlord could take you to court for unpaid rent.

If you have an AST and your deposit has been protected, the deposit has to be given back to you within 10 days of the tenancy ending. If you’re not going to receive the full deposit back, your landlord needs to explain why, in writing, and show you copies of any receipts they have received for works carried out. If you dispute what your landlord says, the tenancy deposit protection scheme will hold onto the deposit until it has been resolved. They are likely to recommend you contact their free Alternative Dispute Resolution service to try and find a solution, or you can go to the courts.

You can find more information in this subject on the Shelter website.