Problems with paying the rent

Life doesn’t always run smoothly, so make sure you know what to do if you should fall behind with paying the rent.

If you can’t keep up your rent payments it’s important to take action immediately, as your landlord can evict you. They could also take you to court to claim back any rent and it may affect any future references.

What to do when you cant pay your rent when its due

The first thing you should do is talk to your landlord; don’t avoid them. It shows you are committed to clearing your debt and your landlord may be willing to negotiate a way of paying the rent you owe. If the change in your circumstances is temporary, they may also be more willing to help you.

If you have recently lost your job or are on low income, you may be able to get housing benefit to help pay your rent. If you are already receiving housing benefit, the council may decide to pay this direct to the landlord. If the problem lies with the council (there’s been a delay in your housing benefit claim) you could receive an interim payment within 14 days called a ‘payment on account’ that may help to stop your landlord from evicting you.

If you can’t afford your rent because there is a shortfall between your housing benefit payments and the rent, you may be entitled to a ‘discretionary housing payment’ that makes up the difference.

Know your rent

You should keep any records of rent payments made and statements in case of a dispute with your landlord.